Fishing and Excitement in Pipe Creek

Friday, January 3

It rained this morning and the winds have clocked to the North at 6-8 kts. We get in the dinghy and try trolling. First time I hooked something a combination of factors caused the line to break and for me to lose my favorite lure. For one thing the tide was going out and just as I hooked something, the very strong current was taking us out to the sound. In the excitement, Phil gunned the engine and I forgot to loosen the tension on the lines so snap, it went and slowly, so slowly we overcame the current and made it safely inside. I was furious about losing the lure as I had used too light of monofilament and Fishing. Lesson learned not to use that pole again!! Later early afternoon we went trolling again this time the current was much less, the fishing line was heavier, but we didn’t catch anything except use up almost a tank of fuel trolling around. John and Denise were also trolling and went across our stern once not being able to see my fishing line so got caught up in my line. This time I kept my cool and kept the tension lose enough that we were able to get things untangled and not lose the lure. They got a couple nibbles but no bites or fish caught. It was a bit too rough for us to exit the cut and fish outside on Exuma Sound like we did the last trip. Joe from SV Just Ducky has been here almost a month and hasn’t been able to do much fishing due to it not being calm enough on the Sound where the fish are. We heard from him that all the big conch have been caught by the Bahamians, so no sense in going by Hattie’s Cay at super low tide to look for conch. We got our conch horn here last trip.

That reminds me thinking back to our last trip. Sampson Cay, which is where we went last time for diesel, water, washing laundry and getting pizza is now closed and only a private island now. This is a big loss making everyone have to go to Staniel Cay for re provisioning, a 5-mile dinghy ride away.

Later in the afternoon about 3pm, the winds increased to the upper teens and the 2nd anchor line was caught wrapped around the keel from starboard to port. Phil was worried about the anchor rode chafing and even though we’re to be at Sloop John Dee for dinner at 430pm we start working at 4pm on getting the line from underneath Changes. First we try turning the wheel hoping to swing the stern out to flip,the boat. NO luck. We attach our lone 5/8″ multi colored line to the anchor rode hoping with extra length that we can loosen it so that it drops below the keel. NO luck as the force of,the winds and current keeps it tight. Next idea is to attach a line to the anchor rode using a sheep shank so. O more line goes out and then bring the rest of the anchor rode and multicolored line around to the other side. Fortunately, this works. We crank in the extra line using our sheet winch, tie off and we’re glad that the crises is over. Sloop John Dee has the same problem, but the current is too strong to do anything about it.

By 530pm we make to Sloop John Dee had have a delicious birthday meal of a Chicken Marsala, near, corn and tomato salad with carrot cake and key lime lie for dessert. We had an enjoyable evening playing Spades.

Saturday, January 4

It rained first thing this morning and I was able to collect a little rain. After we get our 2nd anchor raised on the boat Our 2nd order of business is to help John and Dee along with Joe get their 2nd anchor rode from around their keel and then to raise it so they can leave. We start about 930am and with the current almost slack, they are successful. By 1025am we raise anchor heading to Blackpoint. Once we reach the banks, we let out a reefed head sail with 19.6kt wind on the beam. We keep the engine at 1000RPMs to top off the batteries. By 1220pm we have to roll in the head sail with a 40 to 35 degree wind angle. We anchored in between the government dock and the laundry dock. High on our list of priorities is getting water and washing clothes. Ida still has the best laundry in the Exumas still at $3.50 each to wash and dry a load of clothes. Phil got 32.5 gals of water filling the water tank and having extra left over. 430pm the chores done we went to Scorpios down and across from Lorraine’s Cafe for Happy Hour with beers $3 each and rum punches 2/$7. We each had a delicious burger and French Friedman a real treat for us. On TV is the wild card playoff between KC and Indianapolis Colts. It was nice to meet Bev and Arnie from SV Scandia.

Sunday, January 5

Today we stay on the boat in the morning. Phil works on checking the bottom of Changes, puts on a new zinc on the prop shaft which is much easier in the crystal clear Bahamian waters. I clean the floor and the head now that we have water enjoying the feeling of not having salt on my feet. The vinyl windows are still covered with all, but with plans to leave for Georgetown tomorrow, there isn’t any reason to get the salt off yet. The winds are supposed to be around 10 kts and becoming less than 10 to light & variable as the day progresses. 1pm we go to the government dock and walk to Lorraine’s cafe. There we meet Bo and Joyce on SV Dream Catcher. We also meet Jane and Duane from SV Sea Clearly but are disappointed to hear this is as far south that they go this year returning for their son’s wedding in March. We have the fish fingers before we return to Changes to pit the dinghy on deck and the outboard on its bracket in preparation for our passage to Georgetown.

3 thoughts on “Fishing and Excitement in Pipe Creek

  1. We’re still following your blogs, thanks for keeping us up to date. I’m curious how often you have to get water and wash clothes? Good information on your anchoring and fishing too! Can’t wait till we start on our boat this spring!


  2. HI Phil and Lorraine–At the risk of ruffling feathers, since each ship has its own ways, may I suggest that if you have a 35 -45 pound anchor of one of the notmal shapes (cqr, danforth, r bruce okna, etc), you almost never will need or want two anchors on two rodes in any sandy Bahamian anchorage….. Two things will increase your holding power markedly, and still totally eliminate the fouling of two anchor rodes. the first is a “kellet”–a 10-15 pound weight which you can allow to roll down your anchor rode on a snatch block on its own light messenger until it is almost do the bottom, and leave it there. the kellet acts to keep the pull on your nachor much more parallel to the bottom, increasing the anchor’s holding markedly. When ready to leave, simply retrieve the kellet, unsnap the snatchblock, and reel in your rode. The second way to more than double your primary anchor’s holding, say for a frontal passage or in iffy marly bottom, is to put about 10-15′ of chain onto a spare anchor ( or the second one you are using now). On the end of the chain, add a shackle . If your primary is a CQR, it has a ring on it just to attach this second anchor. Pay our the shackled anchor first, then pay out your primary anchor….bot on the same rode. You will almost never drag this tandem anchor rig, and you will never have two rodes to foul again. Yes, it takes a couple extra minutes to deploya nd retrieve, but it will be equal to having suddenly gotten a 60 pound anchor. Just some thoughts. I was a two anchor , two rode man for several years, and now I would not go back to that set-up except in a hurricane moor extra to my primary tandem anchor rick

    Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:10:33 +0000 To:


    • Thanks for the info. We don’t want to use to use two anchors. BTW we have a 35# Delta anchor with 125ft of high tensile chain and an additional 150 ft 9/16″ rode attached to the chain which holds very well in Bahamian sand.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s